« I believe in having high expectations of all children.
« I strive to develop a classroom climate based on caring, clear limits, consistency, and respect.
« Our classroom is a safe and comfortable learning environment.
At Humphrey Elementary we use the Responsive Classroom approach. This approach emphasizes social, emotional, and academic growth in a strong and safe school community.
Responsive Classroom Guiding Principles:
- The social curriculum is as important as the academic curriculum.
- How children learn is as important as what they learn: Process and content go hand in hand.
- The greatest cognitive growth occurs through social interaction.
- To be successful academically and socially, children need a set of social skills: cooperation, assertion, responsibility, empathy, and self-control.
- Knowing the children we teach-individually, culturally, and developmentally-is as important as knowing the content we teach.
- Knowing the families of the children we teach and working with them as partners is essential to children's education.
- How the adults at school work together is as important as their individual competence: Lasting change begins with the adult community.
Additionally, I use the Nurtured Heart Approach®. The Nurtured Heart Approach® is a set of strategies that builds richer relationships. It inspires appropriate behaviors by energizing children when things are “going right” and it sets clear limits. Children build a sense of inner wealth which is the basis for great decision making and success – critical for all children in the modern world.